Hey You, Rise and Shine!
Good morning, fam! Today we're diving into something that's a total game-changer – your morning routine. Trust me, how you start your day can set the tone for everything that follows. So, let's chat about transforming your mornings into a launchpad for success.
Why Mornings Matter
Setting the Tone for Your Day
Ever noticed how a rushed morning can throw off your whole vibe? It's because those first few hours are crucial. They're your first win of the day, your chance to set a positive tone. It's not just about getting up; it's about rising with intention. One book that has helped me tremendously in transforming the way I view waking up early in the morning is The 5am Club by Robin Sharma.
Tailoring Your Morning Routine
For Every Vibe, There’s a Way
Your morning routine should fit you like your favorite pair of sneakers – comfortable, supportive, and just right. And remember, one size doesn't fit all, especially if you’re navigating challenges like ADHD or being neurodivergent. It’s all about finding what works for you.
For the Neurodivergent and ADHD Warriors
Simplicity and Structure
If your brain works a bit differently, mornings can feel overwhelming. The key? Simplicity and structure. Start with something small, like making your bed. It's a quick win and sets a positive tone. Our Daily Planner can be a fantastic tool to break down your morning into easy, manageable steps. To establish a better morning routine, write down your current routine step by step and cut it in half. Remember to simplify don't multiply. Ask yourself, "Are each of these a requirement? Can I pass on some of this responsibility? Who can help?"
For the Busy Bees
Efficiency is Your Best Friend
Always on the go? Your morning routine should be about maximizing efficiency. Prep your outfit the night before, get a quick workout in, and maybe a five-minute journaling session with our journals to get your thoughts in order.
Morning Rituals to Elevate Your Day
Spiritual, Mental, and Physical – The Holy Trinity of Mornings
Let’s break down the essentials of a powerful morning routine:
Spiritual Grounding: Whether it's meditation, prayer, or just some quiet reflection, starting your day with a spiritual practice can bring a sense of peace and purpose.
Mental Activation: Feed your mind something positive. Read a page of an inspiring book, listen to a motivational podcast, or jot down your goals. Our current top podcasts to start listening to are The Black Girl Bravado, Balanced Black Girl, and Myleik Teele.
Physical Movement: Get your body moving! Whether it’s pilates, a quick jog, or just some stretching, physical activity wakes up your body and mind. Gym not your thing? Sign up for the Peloton app, find a fitness YouTube channel, purchase a walking pad for multi-tasking during the day or even finding a friend to FaceTime and talk to whenever movement is involved.
If your current morning routine doesn't allow for personal time in the morning with the hustle and bustle of managing a household and children, we get it. Instead of beating yourself up about lack of time, readjust your schedule to give yourself at least two hours in the morning before anyone else wakes up - GAME CHANGER! You deserve the time and you don't need to ask for it.
Brain Dump Before Bed
Often times, we spend more time thinking and less time doing. Take stock where time is wasted each day. By incorporating a nightly brain dump, you can wake up refreshed and knowing exactly what to do each day. Give it a try and let us know your thoughts. Our January subscription box, Planners and Pajamas, includes the perfect bedtime brain dump notepad to keep on your nightstand. We hope you're signed up!
Your Morning, Your Mastery
Crafting a Routine That Sings to Your Soul
As we wrap up, remember this – your morning routine is yours to design. It’s about finding what lights you up and sets you up for success. So, experiment, adjust, and find your perfect morning mix.
And hey, if you need a little help along the way, our range of planners and journals are here to support your journey. We’ve got the tools to help you master your mornings.
Routine, Routine, Routine
Now that we've talked about the importance of a purposeful morning routine, you might be wondering, 'What does this look like in real life?' Well, every lifestyle calls for a unique approach to mornings. Whether you're a busy professional, a dedicated student, or a stay-at-home parent, there’s a morning routine that can work wonders for you. And let's not forget our neurodivergent friends or those who naturally rise later in the day. I've put together some example routines to inspire you and to show how a thoughtful morning can be a game-changer, no matter your lifestyle. Remember, these are just templates – feel free to tweak them to make them your own. Let's dive in and explore these routines!
1. The Busy Professional
- 5:00 AM: Wake up to a gentle alarm tone. We suggest using the Hatch.
- 5:05 AM: Quick meditation, prayer or breathing exercises to center the mind.
- 5:30 AM: High-intensity interval training (HIIT) for a quick, energizing workout or a mindful walk around the neighborhood.
- 6:00 AM: Shower and get ready for work.
- 6:30 AM: Healthy breakfast while listening to a motivational podcast.
- 6:50 AM: Review the day's schedule and goals
- 7:00 AM: Head out for the workday, feeling energized and focused.
2. The Stay-at-Home Parent
- 5:30 AM: Wake up before the rest of the household for some quiet time.
- 6:00 AM: Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee while journaling or planning the day.
- 6:30 AM: Gentle yoga or a brisk walk outside to get moving.
- 7:00 AM: Prepare breakfast for the family.
- 7:30 AM: Get the kids ready for school or their day’s activities.
- 8:00 AM: Quick household tidy-up before starting the day’s main tasks.
3. The College Student
- 7:00 AM: Wake up and hydrate with a glass of water.
- 7:10 AM: Quick review of the day’s classes and assignments.
- 7:20 AM: A 20-minute jog or bike ride for physical activity.
- 7:45 AM: Shower and get ready for the day.
- 8:15 AM: Healthy breakfast while skimming through study notes.
- 8:45 AM: Head to the first class or study session.
4. The Freelancer or Remote Worker
- 5:30 AM: Wake up for morning meditation, mindfulness practice and prayer.
- 7:30 AM: Shower and get dressed.
- 8:00 AM: Breakfast while reviewing the day’s tasks and deadlines.
- 8:30 AM: Set up the workspace; quick check of emails and messages.
- 9:00 AM: Start with the most important task of the day, leveraging peak morning energy.
5. The Person with ADHD or Neurodivergent
- 6:30 AM: Wake up to a consistent, routine alarm.
- 6:40 AM: Engage in a short, structured physical activity like stretching or a light walk.
- 7:00 AM: Breakfast with minimal distractions; possibly use this time for a calming activity like coloring or puzzles.
- 7:30 AM: Review the day’s plan with clear, written tasks by using a notepad.
- 8:00 AM: Begin the day’s activities or work, starting with tasks that require the most focus. Set timers for each task of the day.
6. The Night Owl (Late Riser)
- 9:00 AM: Wake up and start the day with some light stretching or yoga.
- 9:30 AM: Enjoy a leisurely breakfast while listening to uplifting music.
- 10:00 AM: Set daily goals and review the schedule.
- 10:30 AM: Start the workday or daily activities, prioritizing tasks that align with personal energy levels.
And there you have it – morning routines tailored to fit a variety of lifestyles. Each one is a stepping stone towards a day filled with purpose and achievement.
Remember, the best routine is the one that resonates with you, aligns with your life, and feels just right. So, take these examples, play around with them, and see what transforms your mornings from mundane to magnificent. And if you're looking for tools to help craft your perfect morning, don’t forget to check out our range of planners and journals designed to empower and inspire.
As we continue our journey in 'Designing Your Best Year Yet,' stay tuned for more insights and tips on living a life that's not just busy, but truly meaningful. Here's to mornings that set the stage for days filled with success, joy, and purpose! Stay tuned for the next part of our series, where we’ll dive into creating an evening routine that's just as epic as your mornings.
Until then, rise up, shine bright, and seize your day!